Sunday, September 01, 2024

BIRDS Exhibition Nov 2024

Brisbane Institute of Art 

November 9th - 19th
Sharon Lee
Linda Black
Lily Karmatz
Lyn Derrick

I have never been interested in simply regurgitating images from books, or copying pictures without there being an idea behind the process. I tend to want there to be a concept.
So to start I look for inspiration.
When I came across this jigsaw that my own children once adored, it gave me an idea. What if humans were physically and psychologically joined to birds? If what happened to one, happened to the other?

For me the theme of BIRDS is tangled-up with the threat to the ecosystem. I want the viewer to ask of themselves and our society : when will we accept that there is a symbiotic relationship between nature, humans and the environs, and that we are all the same when threatened by catastrophic conditions?

Through environmental storytelling I have decided to portray birds with human bodies, to signify that no ecosystem exits in a vacuum. What happens to animals, birds, vegetation and humans is inevitably tangled together.

Max Ernst (1891 - 1976 ) said, ' An artist must have one eye on the outer world while the other eye looks toward the inner world.' And it is with this in mind that I will aim to insert a disquieting idea - not simply pretty paintings of children and birds.
I want to highlight the threat imposed by climate predators and mass consumption. I want to question: if birds were considered priceless treasures of worth, or were inexplicably connected to our own children, perhaps our relationship with them and the ecosystem would be more considered?

So
1/ Which birds? Just the threatened or any, including the common? Australian or worldwide?
2/ Start the process with drawing birds and children separately.

 

3/ Cut them up and arrange so the amalgamated child/bird look as if they are one species.

                   
 
     

4/ Medium - Oils or acrylics?

5/ What will they be doing? Will the backgrounds highlight catastrophic conditions?

6/ Color's, atmosphere.  A reckoning? Warning? Or should I make the threat more subtle? 

Love this process . . .